Even though birthdays come around every year, it can still be hard to know just what to say to make the birthday person feel special. You want to send a personal message to let them know you care, but you don’t know exactly what to say. Don’t worry — we’re here to help with birthday wishes.
We’ve put together a guide to help you wish everyone in your life a happy birthday. Whether you’re looking to send a heartfelt message to your friend on their 30th birthday or send a funny belated wish, we’ve got you covered.
General Birthday Messages
You can send these birthday wishes to anyone, no matter their relationship with you. These general messages are also great for someone you don’t know very well since they’re to the point yet still thoughtful.
- “I hope your day is as great as you are. Happy birthday!”
- “The world became a better place when you entered it. Happy birthday!”
- “Today is your day! Don’t be afraid to celebrate big. Happy birthday!”
Funny Birthday Messages
If you’re sending a card to a jokester or someone you like to poke fun at, don’t shy away from sending a funny message. Along with the age-old jokes about getting older, consider including any hilarious inside moments the two of you have shared.
- “I seriously thought you couldn’t get any older. Thanks for proving me wrong.”
- “Don’t worry, I let the fire station know it’s your birthday. They’re on standby for when you light your candles.”
- “You think 33 sucked? Wait to see what 34 brings. Just kidding, it will be great. Happy birthday!”
While every birthday is something to celebrate, some are a little more notable than others. Finally becoming a teenager, hitting a new decade, and becoming a legal adult are all milestones worth noting. Of course, your message should be tailored to the specific milestone. You wouldn’t wish someone turning 50 a happy 30th.
- “You may be [age], but you’re still the same old [name] I love. Happy birthday!”
- “Congrats on reaching 50! At this rate, you can do anything.”
- “Another milestone? Now that’s something worth celebrating! Happy birthday.”
We all drop the ball sometimes and forget someone’s birthday. Rather than skipping a birthday wish altogether, send a belated message to let your loved one know you didn’t forget them completely. Whether you’re looking to add some humor or show sincere love, there’s a message perfect for you and your recipient.
- “You know my mind isn’t the best…but you still deserve all the wishes in the world. Happy birthday!”
- “I forgot your birthday, but I didn’t forget how awesome you are. Have a wonderful year!”
- “I figured I would extend your birthday celebration a little longer with a delayed wish. Happy birthday!”
Birthday Wishes for Friend
Whether you’ve been friends since you were little or just became pals in the past few weeks, a birthday is a time to let your friend know you’re there for them and ready to celebrate. Look to your friendship to guide your message, and don’t hesitate to include any special moments the two of you have shared over the years.
- “Another year older means another year to take on the world together! Happy birthday to a friend I couldn’t live without.”
- “I can’t believe you’re [age]. But I guess I’ll still be your friend. Happy birthday!”
- “No matter what age you are, I know one thing for certain. You’re one of the best friends in the world. Enjoy your big day!”
Birthday Wishes for Dad
Your dad has watched you grow up while supporting you along the way. While he may say he doesn’t need anything for his birthday, don’t skip out on sending him a birthday wish. This special guy deserves all the wishes in the world.
- “Thanks for being there for me all these years. I wouldn’t know how to fix a toilet or appreciate good music if it wasn’t for you. Happy birthday!”
- “Think of yourself as a bottle of wine. You’re not getting old, you’re just becoming finely aged. Enjoy it!”
- “No matter what age you are, you’ll always be the best father in the world. Happy birthday!”
Birthday Wishes for Mum
There’s nothing like a relationship between you and your mum. Let her know that you’re thinking of her on her birthday with a personalized wish. When you’re writing your message, look to the bond between you and your mum to help inspire your words.
- “Happy birthday to the woman who does it all and means so much to many. I wouldn’t be the person I am today if it wasn’t for you.”
- “After spending the rest of the year caring for everyone else, you deserve to celebrate on your special day. Happy birthday!”
- “I can’t believe you’ve put up with me for all these years. Happy birthday!”
Birthday Wishes for Son
No matter what age your son is, there’s nothing like the bond you share with him. Let him know you’re thinking of him on his birthday with a thoughtful wish.
- “Of all the things I’ve done in my life, raising you is on the top of the list. Happy birthday to a wonderful son.”
- “After years of wiping food off your face and reminding you to pack your lunch, I’m proud to see the man you’ve become. Happy birthday!”
- “I can’t believe you’re already [age]! It seems like just yesterday you were learning to crawl. Happy birthday!”
Birthday Wishes for Daughter
Your daughter will always hold a special place in your heart, no matter how old she is. Let her know you’ll always care for her with a great birthday wish.
- “My little girl isn’t so little anymore. But don’t think that means I love you any less. Happy birthday!”
- “I’m so lucky to have such a caring, funny, and sweet person in my life. And I’m even luckier that person is my daughter. Enjoy your special day!”
- “No matter what age you are, you’ll always hold a special place in my heart. Happy birthday!”
Birthday Wishes for Brother
Brothers have seen us laugh, cry, and smile. They’ve annoyed us and supported us. On their birthday, let them know that you care about them with a thoughtful birthday wish.
- “Even though you’ve annoyed me in more ways than I can count, I wouldn’t want to call anyone else my brother. Enjoy your birthday!”
- “We both know that I’m the best sibling. Now that we have that out of the way, I can wish you a happy birthday.”
- “No matter how much of a hard time I give you, I’m glad you’re my brother. I can’t imagine having anyone else by my side all these years. Happy birthday!”
Birthday Wishes for Sister
Without your sister, you would be a different person. It doesn’t matter if you two are best friends or only talk a few times a year; a birthday wish will let her know you’re thinking of her.
- “Remember when we spent our days playing in the sandbox? You’re never too old for that kind of fun, so celebrate big on your birthday.”
- “Everyone always told me sisters were annoying, but you’ve proved them wrong (most of the time). Happy birthday!”
- “No matter what age you are, we both know I’m the favorite sibling. But at least you’re in second place. Happy birthday, sis!”
Wishes for Husband
When your husband’s birthday rolls around, you want to send him a wish that shows how much you love and appreciate him. Before you select any generic wish, think about the special moments the two of you have shared. By using these moments and your relationship as inspiration, you can write a birthday wish that’s as great as him.
- “From washing the dishes to making me laugh, you make my days brighter in countless ways. Happy birthday to the man I love.”
- “Now that you’re [age], maybe you’ll finally start putting the toilet seat down. But even if you don’t, you know I’ll still love you. Happy birthday!”
- “I never thought my love for you could grow, but I love you more and more each year. Happy birthday!”
Wishes for Wife
There’s no love like the love you have for your wife. On her birthday, let you know how much you love and appreciate everything she does with a personalized birthday wish. Don’t be afraid to draw on your relationship to blend sincerity with humor for the perfect message.
- “No matter what age you are, I know I’ll always love you. Happy birthday to an amazing woman.”
- “As you grow older, I find myself falling more and more in love with you. I’m so happy we get to spend our lives together. Happy birthday!”
- “You may be one year older, but we both know I’m still the better cook (tennis player, driver, etc.). Don’t worry, I still love you. Happy birthday!”
Send a Special Birthday Wish
Now that you have some ideas for great birthday wishes, all you need to do is write your own message and send it on its way. And don’t forget that your loved one will appreciate your thoughtfulness no matter what wish you send.